Links to relevant files are included throughout this document, but all of them can also be found here.
Step 1: Practice
- Print or find a screen to display your sheet music. Please use the PDF linked here so we all have the same voice parts and you’ll have the mark-ups provided.
- Find the “Rehearsal video” for your voice part (soprano, alto, tenor, or bass). Listen to the instructions there. Sing along with your part until you feel comfortable with the notes.
- Sopranos: you sing the melody, but should still watch your rehearsal video at least once because it explains some technicalities about timing etc.
Step 2: Set up
- Find a quiet spot with minimal reverberation/echo.
- This is not required, but feel free to dress festively and/or use your holiday decorations as a backdrop!
- You will need two devices: one to watch and play the “In-ear track” through headphones, and one to record your voice.
Step 3: Record
BE SURE TO RECORD HORIZONTALLY! (in landscape mode).
Press “record” on your recording device, then press “play” on your in-ear track. We should not hear the in-ear track on your recording, just your voice. ■ You will hear Eric count for one measure (six beats), then CLAP for six beats. YOU SHOULD CLAP ALONG FOR THESE SIX BEATS. These claps will help the video editor synchronize all the tracks.
Record your voice as follows:
- Verse 1: ALL on melody
- Verses 2 and 3: voice part of choice
- Be sure to continue watching and listening to your “in-ear track” as you record. The conducting there will indicate some important cutoffs and tempo changes (which you will have rehearsed already in your rehearsal track).
- DO NOT WORRY ABOUT PERFECTION. This is a community effort and all your lovely voices are making an important contribution! This should take no more than 30 minutes including all set up and rehearsal. If it does, please just send us your best take.
Step 4: Share
If you’re able, please upload to Google Drive and share with Kalani: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don’t have Google Drive, you can email your file directly or send a link to a file on Dropbox or some other file sharing site.
Please submit your video by the end of the day on SUNDAY, DECEMBER 13.
Please contact Kalani with any questions at email@example.com.