Create a lasting legacy this August during Make-A-Will Month
Do you ever think about the mark you will leave on this world?
How can you ensure your loved ones are cared for even after you are gone?
Well, August is the month to seize the opportunity and embrace the power to shape your future with Make-A-Will Month. Many people (approximately 67%) avoid crafting a will because the subject is difficult to think about. It’s easy to “put off” or “think about it tomorrow.” However, creating a will is a profound act of care and responsibility to your loved ones. Imagine the satisfaction of knowing that you have safeguarded your family’s well-being, protected your hard-earned assets, and created a lasting legacy. Most importantly, you are doing the critical work of clarifying your wishes and helping your family avoid expensive probate.
But where do you start? Fortunately, there are trusted resources available to guide you through the process. The Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon Foundation partnered with FreeWill: a free estate planning tool to help you create a will, for free, in as little as 20 minutes. This free resource helps you direct how your property and assets will be allocated to the people and causes you care about the most.
What can be in your will?
- Who will be the executor of your estate
- How to distribute your assets
- Guardianships for your minor or special needs children
- How to pay for your child’s or grandchildren’s education
- Who will receive sentimental or valuable personal items
- Which organizations will receive gifts of cash, stock, or property
- How to care for your pets
- Requests for your funeral or celebration of life
- Contact or lists of people, schools, or organizations to notify
- Get specific: Consider items you would like to will to family members, such as a unique ring or piece of art. Start making a list. Some people even tag those items years in advance.
- Security: Do you have a safe deposit box, passwords, or a safe at home that a loved one will need to access? You can ensure all of that important information is available when someone needs it.
Remember, making a will is not a painful task. It is a chance to unlock your potential, leave an indelible mark on the world, and shape the future for generations to come. Let Make-A-Will month become the catalyst for the extraordinary legacy you will leave behind by embracing this opportunity today.
Visit freewill.com/ssmofoundation to embark on the empowering journey of securing your legacy today.