Realize the Power of a Gift
The Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon Foundation has partnered with FreeWill to provide free online tools to make planning and giving as easy as possible.
If you would like to extend your support of the SSMO Foundation to make a lasting difference in the lives of those served by the Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon and their sponsored ministries at Valley Catholic School and Maryville, consider a tool below that best supports your intentions.
Wills and Living Trusts
A simple, flexible and versatile way to ensure we can continue our work for years to come is a gift in your will or living trust. The good news is that you can create a will today in as little as 20 minutes.
Our partnership with FreeWill allows you to create your will and legacy gift for free.
FreeWill can also help you plan beneficiaries for assets not included in your will.
Check out our blog to learn more: A free gift that can last a lifetime.
Have you made a gift to us in your estate plans? Fill out this online form to let us know. We would love to thank you for carrying on the rich legacy of the Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon.
- If you are ready to create your bequest, get started with our partners at FreeWill for free. The process takes 20 minutes, and allows you to make a free plan for your loved ones as you create your gift for the SSMO Foundation. Start your legacy today.
- Email Patricia Blood to discuss options for including the SSMO Foundation, Maryville or Valley Catholic School in your will or estate plan.
- If you would like to create a bequest through your own attorney, seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include the SSMO Foundation in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon Foundation
Address: 4440 SW 148th Avenue, Beaverton, OR 97078
Federal Tax ID Number: 93-1253966
Securities and mutual funds that have increased in value and been held for more than one year are one of the most popular assets to use when making a gift to the SSMO Foundation. Making a gift of securities or mutual funds offers you the chance to support our work while realizing important benefits for yourself.
When you donate appreciated securities or mutual funds that you have held more than one year, you can reduce or even eliminate federal capital gains taxes on the transfer. You may also be entitled to a federal income tax charitable deduction.
Securities are most often used to support our work in the form of an outright gift. When you donate securities to the SSMO Foundation, you receive the same income tax savings that you would if you wrote us a check, but with the added benefit of eliminating capital gains taxes on the transfer.
Visit our blog post, Two Tax-savvy Benefits to Donating Stock to learn more.
Visit Freewill, our free online resource, to donate appreciated stock today. It can take as little as 10 minutes and no personal information is required.
You can also instruct your broker to transfer the shares or, if you have the physical securities, hand-delivering or mailing the certificates along with a stock power to us in separate envelopes. (Using separate envelopes safeguards your gift—the certificates will not be negotiable without the stock power.)
To learn more about this form of giving, email Patricia Blood for more information on making a stock gift.
Donor-advised funds (DAFs) can be a tax-advantageous way to give. If you have a donor-advised fund with any provider, consider making a distribution to Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon Foundation.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-718-6480 if you have questions about granting from a donor-advised fund.
IRA Rollover/Qualified Charitable Distribution
If you are 70½ years or older, you can take advantage of a simple way to benefit SSMO Foundation and receive tax benefits in return. You can give any amount up to $100,000 per year from your IRA directly to a qualified charity such without having to pay income taxes on the money. This popular gift is the IRA charitable rollover, and also referred to as a qualified charitable distribution or QCD.
Giving this gift will:
- Enable it to be used today – you get to see the difference your donation is making.
- Help you avoid paying income taxes on the gift. The transfer does not generate taxable income, so you benefit even if you do not itemize your deductions.
- If you reached the age of 70½ by Dec. 31, 2019, the gift will satifsy all or part of your required minimum distribution for the year. People who turned 70½ after Dec. 31, 2019, can use your gift to satisfy all or part of your required minimum distribution starting at the age of 72.
- Reduce your annual income level, since the gift does not count as income. This may help lower your Medicare premiums and decrease the amount of Social Security that is subject to tax.
If you are ready to give from your IRA, visit our partners at Freewill to create your rollover gift in 10 minutes online, print out the forms, and follow the instructions to send the forms to your IRA custodian.
To learn more about this form of giving, email Patricia Blood or call (503) 718-6485 for more information on making a gift from your IRA.
You may also seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
The Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon Foundation accepts crypto donations.
To donate cryptocurrency, go to Crypto for Charity and type in Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon Foundation in the nonprofit or cause section.
Contact email@example.com or call 503-718-6480 if you have questions.